Learn more about our founder and clinician, Katie Fleming, MS, LMFT, PMH-C
1. What inspired you to enter this field? I was very fortunate during my growing-up years to have had a number of experiences knowing and working with families that were navigating complex medical diagnoses. I was a volunteer at a therapeutic equestrian center. There, I remember working with a child who suffered a debilitating injury, and lost both legs just below the knee. One of her lessons is definitely a “core memory” for me. On this particular day, she was able to navigate her horse over a serious of “jumps” for the first time. She instantly transformed from an emotionally devastated child into an overjoyed, proud, and empowered child. I looked at everyone in the arena, and all of us were in tears. The other volunteers, her family, and myself. I knew then that I wanted to spend my life helping other families and individuals find healing, joy, and connection in their lives.
2. Where has been your favorite place to travel and why? This is an impossible question! Although I’ve taken some amazing international trips, my favorite place to travel is Maine.
3. Do you currently hold any specialties or certificates? Or are there any you would like to work towards getting? I do! I’m a certified Perinatal Mental Health Counselor (PMH-C). I specialize in working with patients navigating infertility, pregnancy, and the postpartum period.
5. What are some tools you use to decompress? Exercise is key for me! I joined a Pilates studio at the end of 2022 and instantly became hooked. On the other hand, I also fully embrace what my family refers to as “Friday Night Katie”, which is me falling asleep on the couch while watching tv, sometimes within an hour after putting the kids to bed. It’s all about balance 😎
6. Do you have any mentors? Who inspires you and why? Too many to name! Truthfully, and at the risk of sounding cheesey, I’m inspired daily by the clinicians I work with. Every single member of the team takes a unique and genuine approach to their work, and has a therapeutic approach and style that is authentically them.
7. How would you recommend a client prepare for a session? Know that whatever you’re feeling is completely normal! Your clinician will help guide the session and structure the conversation, so there’s no need for you to overly prepare. That said, please give yourself time to thoughtfully complete the intake packet beforehand. If it’s incomplete or rushed, then you’ll have to spend some valuable minutes at the start of your intake appointment going over that information.
8. How do you keep up to date on industry trends and news? Reading, consultation groups, attending conferences, and taking webinars.
9. What are you most looking forward to now that it’s winter? Hopefully we’ll get some good snowfalls here soon! I’m not a huge fan of cold weather, but I love playing in the snow with my kids.