Learn more about Clinical Director Rachel Casey-DeRue, MS, LMFT!
1. What inspired you to enter this field? I became inspired to enter this field because I have always had a love for helping others! Knowing that I am positively impacting someone’s life keeps me motivated to continuously help others. Additionally, my parents went through a difficult divorce when I was ending high school and about to go to college. This allowed me to better understand my own family dynamics, and want to help and support those experiencing similar situations.
2. Where has been your favorite place to travel and why? Oh! This is a tough decision. I personally love Arizona and California, but I would have to say La Jolla in California. I went there when I was in high school. At that time, I was going through difficult experiences, specifically with friends. When I went to La Jolla, I found a sense of serenity and calmness that I have never experienced before. It was a transformative trip for my mental health, and it will always hold such a special place in my heart.
3. Do you currently hold any specialties or certificates? Or are there any you would like to work towards getting? Yes! I am currently certified in:
- Gottman Level 1 and Level 2
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Trauma-Informed Practices and Expressive Arts Therapy
7. How would you recommend a client prepare for a session? I love this question! I would say to prepare yourself by finding a comfortable space, if through TeleHealth, that feels safe to share with a clinician, as well as writing down what you would like to talk about during the intake appointment. It is SO important for us to hear and understand what brings you into therapy to be a support system for you. Lastly, bring something to write on and write with during the appointments to take any notes that you would find useful.
9. What are you most looking forward to for summer? I look forward to summer evenings/nights where I can sit outside either in my backyard, or at a restaurant. I find it to be extremely calming! Plus, I tend to have more plans in the summer, so I cannot wait to continue spending time with those that I love.